Saturday, December 20, 2008

Days 7 & 8 - Haiti adventure continues!

Cap Haitien was beautiful as ever! I totally love this area. In truth, it is the surrounding countryside that REALLY makes my heart sing. When we finally get around to building a facility of our own, I would love to put it out there. For starters, it's GREEN! There is a wealth of agriculture, a number of trees, and much less polluted air. Absolutely terrific. Add to that the ever-watchful gaze of the Citadel (one of Haiti's most awe-inspiring landmarks) as it looms strong above, and you've got me sold.


I'll tell you more about these guys shortly.
Let's just say, it was a fiery encounter!!!


Kyle and I hoofed it up to the Citadel through a thick cloud. When we got there, it was far too cold to draw a crowd. Literally, they unlocked this mighty fortress just for us. We were the only ones there. We had the run of the place.


With the ever-present cloud, it was straight out of a movie. From the top, you couldn't see one end of the Citadel from the other. Thick. Soupy. Wet. Delightful.

I have been there many times before, all on sunny days, and I can say that this trip was by far the most eerie, mysterious, and ultimately rewarding visits of them all.

There is SO MUCH history in this region of Haiti. Most of her leaders come from the North. We passed by the Breda plantation monument several times and laid eyes on a number of forts and military strongholds along the coast. It was just remarkable.

Suffice it to say, as a lover of history I am eager to call this home!

No comments:

Username: