Thursday, July 24, 2008

HAITI - JULY 2008 - DAY 2

*For those who don't like to read, there is some NEW VIDEO at the bottom of this little story. It's nothing fancy, so just calm down already!















(Click on the photo to enlarge)

Apparently my Creole has been improving.

I had a fascinating conversation with this pack of kids yesterday. The one in the Florida baseball jersey had been hounding me to give him something for the better part of the day. He was persistent... and I totally admire that about him! Anyway, I assured him (in Creole) that I would give him something if he would first give me his leg. The moments that followed were priceless!

It started with his strange look. There was a slight cock of his head as he tried to establish whether I actually knew what I had said.

He was kind enough to do me the honor of telling me that I had just spoken nonsense to him. I was happy to report that I knew exactly what I had said. I then playfully repeated that if he were to give me his leg, I would give him something.

We were all laughing (even him) so don't think me a total mule. It was PLAYFUL and we all had a blast.

Imagine my surprise when he hiked up his leg, offering it to me! All I could do was grab it and say "goodbye" as I tugged. He withdrew quickly, thereby saving me from having to pony up something in exchange.

In the end, it was a great time of fun. I am grateful to one of the team members (Deb) who snapped this photo, though I am not sure what on earth could have been so interesting off to the side of me.

So much for my charm!

Now for some re-capping...


No comments:

Username: